- Ph.D. in English: American Literature from Penn State University (2001)
- M.F.A. in English: Creative Writing, Fiction from Penn State University (1994)
- B.A. in Studio Art from Carleton College (1981)
Fiction, memoir, and personal essay; medical humanities, disability studies, representations of health and illness; images and physical aspects of home and place; the relationships between genres (e.g., architecture and narrative, painting and digital art, fiction and nonfiction); and twentieth-century American literature and women's studies.
- Serious Daring: Creative Writing in Four Genres. New York: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- The Best Possible Bad Luck. Georgetown, KY: Finishing Line Press, 2014.
- Sweet Invisible Body: Reflections on a Life with Diabetes. New York: Henry Holt: 1999. Paperback, Owl Books: 2000.
- "The Dying Professor Is Killing Me: The Media, Morality, and the Public Patient." The Patient. Ed. Maria Vaccarella and Aleksandra Pytko. Inter-Disicplinary Press eBooks, Fall 2009. http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/publishing/idp/ebooks.htm.
- "Katherine Anne Porter's Ship of Fools: An Interrogation of Eugenics." Papers on Language and Literature 45.1 (Winter 2009): 82-107.
- "The Extreme Connection Between Bodies and Houses." M/C Journal: A Journal of Media and Culture 10:4 (August 2007). http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0708/03-roney.php.
- "The Double Vision of Clarence Major, Painter and Writer." African American Review 28.1 (Spring 1994): 65-75. Reprinted in Clarence Major and His Art: Portraits of an African American Postmodernist, ed. Bernard Bell. UNCP, 2001, 161-73.
- "The Same Creatures That You Fear" (essay). In Season: Stories of Discovery, Loss, Home, and Places in Between. Ed. Jim Ross. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, 2018. 14-23.
- "Dying Professors in Film and Television: How Media Make Illness a Moral Issue." The Patient: Global Interdisciplinary Perspectives. Ed. Kimberly Myers. Oxford, U.K.: Inter-Disciplinary Press, 2009. 179-204.
- "Friend with an Illness" (essay). Panhandler Magazine 9 July 2018: n.p. <https://panhandlermagazine.com/nonfiction/lisa-roney/>.
- "To Paul Celan with a Variable Key" (poem). The Lark 2.1 (April 2018), n.p.
- "Gimlet-Eyed in Paradise" (essay). Kudzu House Quarterly 6.4 (Winter 2016), n.p.
- "Voracious" (micro-fiction).The Hoot Review 29 (February 2014), n.p.
- "Violent Season" (poem).The Southern Poetry Anthology,Volume VI: Tennessee. Jesse Graves, Paul Ruffin, and William Wright, eds. Huntsville, TX: Texas Review Press, 2013. 206-207.
- "Empty Cans" (memoir). StorySouth 35 (Spring 2013). http://www.storysouth.com/2013/03/empty-cans.html.
- "Tunnels" (memoir). Prime Number 23.5 (Summer/Fall 2012): n.p. http://www.primenumbermagazine.com/Issue23PrimeDecimals5.htmlanchor562.
- "What It's Like Living Here--From Lisa Roney in Orlando" (memoir and photo essay). Numero Cinq June 4 & 11, 2012: n.p. http://numerocinqmagazine.com/2012/06/15/what-its-like-living-here-from-lisa-roney-in-orlando/comment-20916.
- "Gator Love" (memoir). Saw Palm 6 (Spring 2012): 206-210.
- "The Stuff of Science Fiction" (poem). Willows Wept Review 12 (Summer 2011): 9. http:www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/261068 .
- "Thumbs" (poem). Willows Wept Review 12 (Summer 2011): 8. http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/261068/
- "Why 'Writing'" (op-ed). Inside Higher Ed 7 May 2010. n.p. http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2010/05/07/roney.
- "Left in the House" (story). Waccamaw 3 (Spring 2009): n.p. http://www.waccamawjournal.com/pages.htmlx=210.
- "The Difference Between Fingers and Toes" (poem). The Hiram Poetry Review 70 (Spring 2009): 35.
- "Diagnosis 1972" (poem). The Healing Muse 8.1 (Fall 2008): 90-91.
- "Animal Rites" (story). Red Rock Review 23 (Fall 2008): 48-60.
- "Listen to This" (personal essay). Writing on the Edge 19.1 (Fall 2008): 83-91.
- "Easter Baking" (poem). Ruminate 6 (Winter 2007): 9.
- "Panic Hardware" (story). the new renaissance 39 (Fall 2007): 41-55.
- "On Giving Yourself a Shot" (memoir excerpt from Sweet Invisible Body). You&Me: America's Medical Magazine 1.1 (Fall 2007): 60.
- "Good Credit" (story). So to Speak: A Feminist Journal of Language and Art 15.1 (Winter/Spring 2006): 13-18.
- "Fugitive Home" (memoir). Sycamore Review 17.2 (Summer/Fall 2005): 66-72.
- "Pound Cake" (story). RE:AL 30.1 (Summer 2005): 72-77.
- "Nothing by Comparison" (story). Harper's August 1996: 70-73.
- Review of Serial Memoir: Archiving American Lives (2014), by Nicole Stamant. South Atlantic Review 81.1 (Spring 2016): 221-24.
- Review of Teratologies: A Cultural Study of Cancer (1997), by Jackie Stacey. Journal of the Medical Humanities 21.1 (Spring 2000): 48-50.
- "Critical Mass: How to Organize a Hot Literary Scene Wherever You Are." Association of Writers and Writing Programs. Tampa, FL. March 2018.
- "Think Global, Act Local: Literary Organizations Bridging Communities." Association of Writers and Writing Programs. Tampa, FL. March 2018.
- "Foremothers: Southern Women Writers." Association of Writers and Writing Programs. Washington, D.C. February 2017.
- Practicum and Beyond: Publishing Courses and Literary Citizenship." Association of Writers and Writing Programs. Washington, D.C. February 2017.
- Editors' Panel Member. Other Words Conference, St. Augustine, FL. November 2016.
- "It's Not All Inspiration--Behind the Scenes in the Literary World." Florida College English Association, St. Petersburg, FL. October 2016.
- "A Holiday from Divorce." The Drunken Odyssey X-mas Reading, Urban ReThink, Orlando, FL. December 2012.
- "Gator Love." Saw Palm Reading at Blank Pages Creative Writing Conference, University of South Florida. Tampa, FL. February 2012.
- "The Future of Creative Writing in the Academy." Association of Writers and Writing Programs. Washington, D.C. February 2011.
- "Balancing Workshops." Great Writing 2009. National Institute for Excellence in the Creative Industries, Bangor University, Bangor, Wales, U.K. June 2009.
- "The Dying Professor Is Killing Me: The Media, Morality, and the Pubic Patient." First Annual Conference on the Patient, a program of Inter-Disciplinary.Net, Salzburg, Austria, October 2008.
- "The J in Literary Journalism." Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference. New York. February 2008.
- "Layers of Collaboration in Folkvine.org." Modern Language Association Conference. Philadelphia. December 2006.
- "Physical Difference in Ship of Fools: An Interrogation of Eugenics." American Literature Association Conference. Boston. May 2005.
- "The Narrative Link: Stories in Medicine, Psychoanalysis, and Creative Writing." Psychoanalysis and Narrative Medicine Conference. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. February 2004.
- "Disease Awareness and Risk: An Argument for the Power of Narrative." Colloquium Series 2002 (invited presentation). Center for the Social Study of HIV/AIDS, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia. June 2002.
- "Observing My Bionic Body: An Essay about the Personal and the Abstract in Medicine and Literary Studies." Society for Literature and Science Conference. Buffalo, NY. October 2001.
- "Biology, Psychology, and Performativity: The Case of Carson McCullers." Society for Literature and Science Conference. Atlanta. October 2000.
- "Tuberculosis and Changing Views of Illness in Katherine Anne Porter's Fiction." American Literature Association Conference. Baltimore, MD. May 1999.
- Teaching Incentive Program Award, UCF, 2016.
- Teaching Incentive Program Award, UCF, 2010.
- Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, College of Arts and Humanities, UCF, 2007.
- Resident fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities Institute, "Medicine, Literature, and Culture," Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, 2002.
No courses found for Spring 2020.
||Date and Time
||Literary Journal Editing
||Face to Face Instruction (P)
||M 06:00 PM - 08:50 PM
|No Description Available
No courses found for Summer 2019.
No courses found for Spring 2019.
No courses found for Fall 2018.
Updated: Feb 2, 2019