- Ph.D. in Creative Writing and Modern and Contemporary American Poetry from University of Utah (1978)
Shorebirds. Poetry. The Literature of Fact.
- BIRDSONG. New York: Scribner 2005. (Nonfiction: Natural History)
- A PARROT WITHOUT A NAME. New York: Alfred A. Knopf 1990. (Nonfiction: Natural History)
- LETTER AT THE END OF WINTER. Gainesville: University Presses of Florida 1987. (Poetry)
- Poems have appeared in POETRY, TRIQUARTERLY, THE AMERICAN SCHOLAR, POETRY EAST, THE MASSACHUSETTS REVIEW, QUARTERLY WEST, GREENFIELD REVIEW, POETRY NORTHWEST, PRAIRIE SCHOONER, PASSAGES NORTH, THE NORTH AMERICAN REVIEW, WESTERN HUMANITIES REVIEW, and elsewhere.
- Prose publications include articles and essays in AUDUBON, SMITHSONIAN, ORION, SIERRA, NATIONAL WILDLIFE, LIVING BIRD, BACKPACKER, THE NORTH AMERICAN REVIEW, PASSAGES NORTH, NEW YORK TIMES, CHICAGO TRIBUNE, TRAVEL & LEISURE, and elsewhere.
- Individual articles and essays have appeared in several anthologies, including Best American Science and Nature Writing,The Wild Heart of Florida, The Book of the Everglades, and A Forest of Voices: Conversations in Ecology.
- National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship
- (twice) Individual Artist Grant from the Division of Cultural Affairs, State of Florida
Updated: Jul 9, 2012